Friday, October 18, 2013

ER visit.

Last night at around 8:30, the kids were squirrelly before bed and were messing around. This usually involves running, tackling, and lots of giggling. All of that came to a screeching halt when Emmett went head first into the radiator along our living room wall and was gushing blood. And I mean gushing; running in his eyes and caking his hair. (We've gone 5 years without any accidents in our home with radiators and kids. Never say never, I guess.) Luckily, my friend Roselynn was over to sit with Ethnie while Matt and I rushed off to Children's.
We got in right away and the nurse put numbing cream and bandages on the sight while we waited for the doctor. He also got a large dose of Ibuprofen. Saddest face I've ever seen.
We had to wait 45 minutes to make sure the gash was completely numb. In the meantime we read books and cuddled. I had to try pretty hard to put on a brave face.
After the Ibuprofen kicked in, he started to perk up. He started talking again and walking around. He learned about the popsicles good boys and girls get after they are all fixed up. That cracked a smile!
Working their magic. Before she started, she explained how they were going to have to restrain Emmett to keep him from thrashing around. This freaked me out and I knew it wouldn't go well. He always screams when people hold him down. I kept anticipating the screaming and freaking out from him, but it never came. He was laying on the bed still THE WHOLE TIME. I know there were angels around him keeping him calm. There is no other way to explain it. I'm sure the iPad helped a bit too.
Seven stitches later, most of the blood was wiped out of his hair and he was enjoying every drop of his popsicle. You deserved it, buddy! A HUGE thank-you to everyone who helped Emmett at Children's. Man, I love that place.

He slept all night and woke up business as usual. It's amazing to me how resilient little ones can be. He hasn't complained once. I've been on him like a hawk trying to keep him from running and playing too hard. (Now I really feel like I need that vacation.) On Tuesday he gets the stitches removed.

Emmett, I am so glad you are okay and feeling better! You are a very brave boy and I love you!

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers