Tuesday, November 8, 2011

where's your sweatshirt?

I know it's only Tuesday, but I've already decided on my favorite moment of the week; it happened yesterday evening and, again, involves Ethnie (love this girl!).

First of all, a brief synopsis of the latest battle I've been having with her:
Ethnie hates pants. All she wants to wear are skirts, tshirts, or dresses. So annoying. Since fall has arrived, this has become a huge issue. At her age, she now wants to pick out her own outfit to wear to school. And, because she wants to pick out something she wore 3 months ago when it was 80 degrees outside, you can imagine my frustration. So, here's the new rule:
Ethnie can wear whatever she wants as long as it is weather appropriate (i.e; involves long pants and long sleeves). Since the new rule has been established, the unveiling of the outfit has passed the test, but I have to bite my tongue at some of the combinations she puts together. I have decided that because she is obeying my rule, I need to let her be proud of her interesting outfit and let her wear it. Sigh. So, if you see a recent picture of Ethnie wearing some kind of graphic-t with clashing striped leggings and glittery cheetah-printed shoes, you'll remember; I'm choosing my battles.

Now, on to my favorite moment of the week:
Yesterday, Ethnie went to school wearing a zip-up sweatshirt (which I knew she was going to take off the second she got to school). As expected, her sweatshirt was in her backpack when she got home. Later that evening, we were sitting together and I started asking her questions. Here is how the rest of our conversation went:

Me: sweetie, why did you take off your sweatshirt at school today?
Ethnie:(apprehensive) well, because I get hot.
Me: well, that's fine for awhile, but when you go outside to come back home you need to wear it.
Ethnie: but then I won't be first.
Me: first? for what?
Ethnie: in line. to wait for the bus. I won't be first if I have to put on my sweatshirt AND coat AND backpack before I line up. And it's not fair if I have to be in the middle or at the end because I don't like that. I always want to be first.
Me: oh....(long pause. what was I suppose to say to that? my first reaction was to say, way to go! nice strategy! but I can't). Sweetie, that's okay. You don't always have to be first. You need to let the other kids be first too.
Ethnie: but I always want to be first.

I think it's so funny to hear Ethnie's reasoning for things. It makes perfect sense to her! 

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers