Sunday, July 6, 2014

4th of july 2014.

This year was the first year in a long time we stayed in St. Paul for the 4th. We packed the weekend with fun things and had a great time. The weather on Friday was okay (it got chillier as the day progressed), but Saturday and Sunday were really nice.

I found this shirt online and really want to get one. 

In the morning we went to the St. Anthony Park parade in St. Paul. We had never been to this parade before and liked it. It was very family friendly and attracted a big crowd!
waiting for it to start

cute band
state fair mascots!
nothing like a urine-cup-sample mascot
loved this girl's look
bagpipes on the 4th - the best!

Early evening our church put on a luau, which was fun. I learned the basics on how to hula dance, but unfortunately didn't take any pictures. There was also a traditional pig roast, which was really yummy.
After the luau we went to the North St. Paul car show. This is something we like to go to a couple of times during the summer. The boys love checking out the cars.
I like this one.
mini doughnuts

We ran home to change into some comfy clothes, lit a few smoke bombs, threw some poppers, then headed to Cathedral Hill to watch the fireworks over the Capital.
waiting for fireworks on Cathedral Hill
we brought some noise canceling headphones for Emmett to wear during the fireworks, but he ended up doing well without them!

Saturday was more relaxed. In the morning we babysat four kids of one of Matt's friends from high school who was in town. Taking care of six kids at once in our smaller place was a lot to handle. I can't imagine having six kids of my own!
Matt stayed home with Emmett so he could nap and I took Ethnie to the swimming pond at Lake Elmo Park Reserve. We really like this man-made swimming beach. We don't go to beaches at lakes much because Emmett has a very hard time with sand sticking to his body, especially his feet. He is pretty scared of it. So this was something fun Ethnie and I could do together, stress free.
Ethnie had a blast swimming with her goggles and digging in the sand. Her American Girl doll had to come too. :)
Emmett played in the sprinkler in the evening and was helping me put on my glasses.

Sunday was warm and beautiful. We went to church, took naps, then headed to Minnehaha Falls after dinner.
 The falls were the most powerful I've ever seen here. They almost looked angry. The water was really high and the current was strong. I was a bit stressed out keeping Emmett away from the edge. He gets so curious and excited around water so we have to be very careful.
 This area of the falls I like to call the 'wading area'. It's normally ankle deep, but this year it's much deeper and it was hard to walk around with the current.
 my handsome boy
 I made the kids sit so I could snap a couple of photos. They were cooperating so well so I had to post them all.
 little dolls

I hope you all had a nice Independence Day weekend! Have a great week!

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers