Friday, December 20, 2013

the anti-scrooge campaign.

This thought is being posted a bit late, but it's worth reading.

I learned this week that one of my friends started her own Anti-Scrooge Campaign during this Christmas season. It's brilliant and simple: Whenever you're feeling stressed, crabby, annoyed (i.e. "Scroogish") during this crazy season, you do something to serve someone else. That's it. I love it and I'm joining this campaign! You all should too! 

I love how this immediately helps you to think about the true meaning of Christmas. Whether it's calling someone who wants to hear your voice, donating items for those in need, or shoveling your neighbor's walk, it will remove any bitterness from your heart. There are millions of ways to serve someone so you can do it all day long if you want to. I am grateful that we can also use Christmas as a reminder to be more like Jesus Christ; more charitable, kind and selfless. I am also grateful to have the responsibility to teach this to my children. Some day they will discover that Santa is a fictional character, but they will always know that Jesus is real, that they can always believe in Him, and that He is the true meaning of Christmas. 

A few things I am loving during Christmas this year:

*Being festive! This means wearing ugly Christmas sweaters to work, right babe?

*Looking at old family photos and remembering Christmases past.

*Wishing people a merry Christmas. No shame!
*Eating zillions of treats. And have you ever tried a hot chocolate float with peppermint ice cream??!!
*Watching Emmett discover the magic of Christmas this year. He has been so fun to watch and listen to when he sees presents, Santa, lights. He carries our gifts from under the tree around the house. He gazes at the tree telling me what the ornaments are. And he absolutely loves watching The Polar Express.

*Listening to Christmas carols. The Fist Noel is my favorite.
*Staying AWAY from all the commercial hype. No black Friday or marathon shopping trips for me. It has helped me to enjoy the season so much more. I have embraced online shopping!
*The anticipation of watching Ethnie open her gift from us. She's getting something she REALLY wants this year. Can't wait!
*Family activities. I love it when we are all together.

*Making Christmas gifts. They feel more personal.
*Going home to be with all of my family! I always look forward to it!

I wish all of you a wonderful Christmas! Safe travels, pleasant visits, and fun new memories too. 

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers